Thursday 23 May 2013

A Typical Day in the Life of Us.

With a growing toddler, no two days are the same. Each day there's something new to discover, something different to do. But we do have typical days. Days that start the same & end the same, with a series of similar happenings in between. Here's a peek into one of those days.


7.30am. John wakes up and calls out for attention. Today he's had a long lie as he's usually up around 6am. On a typical day, Iain will get up with John however today Iain is starting work early so it's up to me to get out of my pit and face the day.


8am. Once up and about, John starts the day with a banana. He sits on the couch watching Disney Junior whilst I try to sneak back to bed for half an hour. But he's having none of it. He soon follows me back to the bedroom and insists I get up, usually by stuffing some of his banana into my face or blowing raspberries on any of my bare skin.


9am. Time for a proper breakfast. Today I whip together some pancakes for the two of us. John contently totters around the house (making a mess) whilst I flip pancakes in the kitchen, washing the dishes in between. Once the first ones are ready, John sits on the other side of the stair-gate to the kitchen and snaffles down pancake after pancake. I wonder to myself if it's possible for someone to actually make pancakes and serve a plate of them afterwards -- we just eat ours as we go along, with no more than one pancake makes the plate at a time.


10am. I decide we need to hoover the flat -- if we don't do it this morning, it won't get done at all. John loves the hoover (strange, I know) and insists on helping me out. Today was particularly good as his 'helping' was in fact helpful and not just him switching the hoover on & off.


11am. John has his first nap (of two). Usually it'd be earlier in the morning but due to his long lie we push it back a little. When John naps I'll usually do some cleaning but today I've already achieved a clean kitchen and done the hoovering so I opt to catch up on blogging & internet time.


12pm. John wakes from his nap in a surprisingly good mood. We play in his room for a short while and I change his nappy.


12.30pm. I get John dressed whilst in his room and we decide that we'll go out for our lunch today. We gather our things and John fetches his shoes in excitement, followed by my shoes once his are on. He then excitably hangs around the front door until it's time to leave.


1pm. We opt for lunch at our local swimming pool. The cafe there is cheaper than those on the High Street and the food is pretty delicious. John has a kids lunch box with a ham sandwich and I go for a baked potato. John has a great time scoffing the ham out of his sandwich but leaves all the bread on the table.


1.45pm. We walk back home along the Promenade. As we approach our street I decided to let John out the buggy to stretch his legs. He toddles up our car park, stopping to pick up stones as he goes. It's getting near John's nap time so perfect timing for arriving home.


2.30pm. After getting settled back into the house, it's time for John's afternoon nap. At first he isn't keen on the idea but him rubbing his eyes reassures me that he does in fact need it. Whilst John naps I sit with my feet up and watch a bit of TV, before finishing the dishes.


4.30pm. John wakes up and is ready to get his play on. I chase him around the house for a bit, in & out of his tunnel and we have a kiss, cuddle & throw play session with Charles the Koala. We then nip out to the shop to pick up some essentials for tea.

6pm. John has his tea. Tonight it's pasta bake. I forgot to take a picture as Iain surprised us by coming home early. John was ecstatic to see his Daddy, especially considering he missed him in the morning.


6.30pm. Iain gives John his bath. I linger in the bathroom doorway, soaking up the sound of John's laughter from having such fun with his Daddy.


7pm. Bedtime. John takes a little longer than usual to settle tonight, I assume because of the excitement of having Daddy at home. He soon drops off though. Iain & I spend the evening watching the TV and surfing the net.

10pm. Time for my bed. I used to be an evening-bird but knowing John could wake at 6am makes me more keen to ensure I get those 8 hours of rest.

What's does your typical day look like? Anything like ours?

1 comment:

  1. Great routine - v impressed by his hoovering :-)

    Would love for you to link up at the Friday Baby Shower, Alice x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading & replying to all your comments. Be sure to drop me a comment if you're new here too! If I'm a little slow in replying then feel free to give me a nudge on Twitter (@amylorimer) or send me an email.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...